Birth Story of Colin Jon

Thursday night, 1/2/14, I slept awful and my hips were killing me! So at 7:30 in the morning I rolled onto all fours and did a child's pose. All of a sudden I felt a "pop!" So I jumped out of bed and there was a small gush. I went to the bathroom and knew it couldn't be pee. I walked back to our bedroom and told Greg "well, something is happening today." 

I called the midwives and being GBS+, they told me to come to L&D to be checked out. I took my time, made breakfast for Cameron and myself, did laundry and dishes, took a shower, and then left around 10:50. I took my time driving up to Boulder and called my dad to let him know there was a possibility of something happening today. I also called my mom to let her know that she should be ready "just in case," but that I really didn't think anything was happening, as I hadn't even had a contraction yet, three hours later.

I got to the hospital at 11:15 and got checked in. Still, nothing happening, no pain, no additional leaking, no contractions!  Shortly after checking me in, my midwife, Calla confirmed my water had broken and that I was being admitted. Yay! I called Greg and my mom to let them know that they should head up soon, since I was being admitted. Calla asked me what I wanted to do for "pain management." I told her that since the birth of Cameron was unmedicated and natural, I was okay with getting an epidural this time. She called the anesthesiologist.

At 12:05 I logged my first contraction. I texted Greg and my mom at 12:30 asked where they were because my contractions were now 2 minutes apart! Things were picking up fast. He and my mom walked in at 12:35 and my contractions were starting to get painful. I'm guessing, in retrospect, that I was in transition at this point. My midwives recommended going pee at 1:00, so I did, and had an awful, awful, awful contraction. At this point, the anesthesiologist had walked in the room. I came back to bed and had another awful contraction. The anesthesiologist asked "are we doing this?," and Calla said, "let me check her first." I finally let Calla check me. I was at a 9!!! The anesthesiologist said, "I guess not!" and walked out. Calla told me to push. I had a small gush of fluid and she said "you're probably at a 10 now, let's have a baby!" I pushed through 5 contractions and out he came... All almost 9 lbs. of him! Before I could do anything else, I had to take a peek between his legs to see if he was a he or a she! I still cannot believe I went from no contractions to baby in just a little over an hour. I'm glad it was fast, but seriously, holy cow! Colin was 8 lbs. 15 oz. AFTER he peed on me, which is why I call him "my 9 pounder." The nurses and Calla joked that "next time" I better head in ASAP or that I will probably have a "car baby."

We did immediate skin to skin for 1.5 hours. I had no complications whatsoever. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Now, if I can only convince to have a third... :)